In the event you’re sick of getting all these spammy textual content messages in your telephone, there’s hope: New guidelines from the FCC require telecom firms to dam messages from suspicious sources. Might the scourge of robotexts lastly come to an finish!
Right here’s what else you want to know to Begin Your Week Good.
• Vladimir Putin has visited the Russian-occupied metropolis of Mariupol in Ukraine, in an apparently defiant transfer reported by the Kremlin simply days after the Worldwide Felony Courtroom issued an arrest warrant for him. Putin was flown into Mariupol by helicopter and toured districts across the metropolis in a automobile, footage launched by Russian authorities confirmed.
• Former President Donald Trump stated he expects to be arrested Tuesday in reference to the yearslong investigation right into a hush cash scheme involving grownup movie actress Stormy Daniels and known as on his supporters to protest any such transfer. His workforce stated after Trump’s put up that it had not acquired any notifications from prosecutors.
• The destiny of Credit score Suisse might be determined quickly after a torrid week for Switzerland’s second-biggest financial institution. Experiences swirled of a attainable takeover by its greatest Swiss rival, UBS.
• California is bracing for the moist blast of one other atmospheric river — a protracted, slim moisture band that carries saturated air hundreds of miles, then discharges it like a fireplace hose. It’s resulting from influence the US West from Monday to Wednesday.
• A large blob of seaweed twice the width of the continental United States is headed for the shores of Florida and different coastlines all through the Gulf of Mexico, threatening to dump smelly and probably dangerous piles throughout seashores and dampening tourism season.
Nowruz Mobarak! Tens of millions of individuals throughout the globe are celebrating the Persian New Yr, which falls on the spring equinox and lasts for 2 weeks. Nowruz, that means “new day” in Farsi, is a chance to usher in new beginnings whereas leaving the previous behind. It’s sometimes marked by scrumptious meals, household gatherings and time-honored traditions just like the haft sin.
The Federal Reserve will meet to determine whether or not it’s going to as soon as once more elevate rates of interest — one thing it has completed eight occasions since final yr in an effort to combat excessive inflation. Given the latest banking meltdown, some economists and analysts are involved that one other rate of interest hike may put much more pressure on the monetary system. Nonetheless, regardless of some progress, inflation stays effectively above the Fed’s aim of two%. Within the phrases of 1 former Fed official, it’s a “no-win scenario.”
Ramadan, the holiest month within the Islamic calendar, begins. For 30 days, Muslims world wide will abstain from consuming and ingesting from sunup to sunset. Extra than simply fasting, it’s a time of prayer, reflection and group. In the event you don’t observe, listed here are some recommendations on learn how to assist your Muslim pals via the following few weeks.
Cherry blossom season is upon us (already). The Nationwide Park Service initiatives that Washington, DC’s iconic Yoshino cherry bushes will attain peak bloom between right this moment and Saturday. If that feels unusually early, you’re not imagining issues. Winters are getting hotter because of the local weather disaster, and scientists say that’s linked to early flowering.
President Joe Biden is making his first journey to Canada since he took workplace. US presidents sometimes pay a go to to their northern neighbor inside the first few months of their time period, however pandemic restrictions and the battle in Ukraine delayed these plans. He’ll meet with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to debate commerce and immigration, amongst different points, and likewise will tackle Parliament.
One Factor: SVB shakes the system
On this week’s “One Factor” podcast, CNN Chief Enterprise Correspondent Christine Romans explains why Silicon Valley Financial institution collapsed and what it means for the common American coping with inflation. Plus, she examines whether or not specialists consider the Biden administration’s response was sufficient to discourage dangerous investing methods sooner or later. Hear for extra.
The week in 36 pictures
Take a look at extra pictures from the week that was, curated by CNN Photographs.
TV and Streaming
After “Breaking Dangerous” and “Higher Name Saul,” Bob Odenkirk is again for an additional status TV sequence. In “Fortunate Hank,” he performs a world-weary school literature professor dwelling within the shadow of his well-known father. It’s out right this moment on AMC.
Donald Glover and Janine Nabers discover the darkish facet of stan tradition in “Swarm,” a psychological thriller sequence a few girl’s obsession with a pop star. Catch it on Amazon’s Prime Video.
“Agent Elvis,” a psychedelic Grownup Swim-style TV comedy, envisions Elvis Presley as a undercover agent. It’s streaming on Netflix.
Keanu Reeves is again as tremendous murderer John Wick, dealing with off towards a brand new villain within the fourth installment of the motion franchise. “John Wick: Chapter 4” hits theaters Friday.
At a look …
Has your March Insanity bracket been busted but? The NCAA males’s and ladies’s basketball tournaments proceed this week with a sequence of second-round video games right this moment. The victors will advance to the Candy 16, with the lads enjoying on Thursday and Friday and the ladies enjoying on Friday and Saturday. For the lads, Elite 8 battles start Saturday.
The semifinals of the World Baseball Traditional happen right this moment and Monday, adopted by the championship sport on Tuesday.
For extra of your favourite sports activities, head on over to Bleacher Report, which — like CNN — is owned by Warner Bros. Discovery.
In search of a problem? Take CNN’s weekly information quiz right here to see how a lot you keep in mind from the week that was! Up to now, 83% of fellow quiz followers have gotten eight or extra questions proper. How will you fare?
In honor of the height bloom anticipated this week, get pleasure from this clean tune by R&B/soul artist Kyle Dion. (Click on right here to view)