The most popular eating ticket on the planet proper now?
Italy’s Osteria Francescana, which knocked out Spain’s El Celler de Can Roca to earn the highest spot on the 2016 World’s 50 Greatest Eating places Awards.
Osteria Francescana, which got here in second eventually 12 months’s awards, is situated within the small metropolis of Modena in northern Italy’s Emilia Romagna area.
It’s helmed by chef Massimo Bottura, a person credited with reinventing basic Italian delicacies by providing dishes that mix custom and irreverence and contact all of the senses.
Coming in at quantity two on the checklist was final 12 months’s champion, El Celler de Can Roca, whereas New York’s Eleven Madison Park moved up two locations to seize the quantity three spot.
Whereas accepting his award on the ceremony, held June 13 in New York, a thrilled Bottura held up an Italian flag, saying he felt he would possibly cry he was so emotional.
“I wish to thank everybody,” he stated.
“Our job is all about laborious work. Folks suppose we’re rock stars, we’re going right here or there. It’s all about our work – within the kitchen, on daily basis, to work and succeed.”
Lots of the standard culinary suspects rounded out this 12 months’s high 10.
Lima’s Central, led by Virgilio Martinez, held onto its quantity 4 place. Final September, it topped Latin America’s 50 Greatest Eating places checklist for the second 12 months working.
Copenhagen’s Noma – the 2014 champion credited with the rise of “new Nordic delicacies” – fell from third to fifth.
Mirazur, situated in Menton, France, jumped from eleventh place to sixth, whereas San Sebastian’s Mugaritz dropped a spot to quantity seven.
Tokyo’s Narisawa – quantity two on Asia’s 2016 Greatest Eating places checklist – held onto eighth.
At ninth, Steirereck of Vienna celebrated its first look within the high 10, together with Biscay, Asador Etxebarri’s restaurant in Spain. Final 12 months’s highest climber, in 2016 the Spanish barbeque eatery moved from thirteenth as much as quantity 10.
Maybe the largest shock of the evening was the dramatic drop of London’s Dinner by Heston Blumenthal.
Final 12 months’s quantity seven, it plummeted to forty fifth place.
One other noticeable absence from the highest 10 was Asia’s finest restaurant, Gaggan.
The Bangkok-based Indian restaurant slipped from tenth to twenty third this 12 months.
MORE: Gaggan: ‘I can’t prepare dinner this for 20 years’
Possibly much less stunning – with the checklist usually criticized for its male dominance – was the absence of female-run eating places.
Dominique Crenn of Atellier Cren was named “World’s Greatest Feminine Chef” whereas Tokyo restaurant Den was awarded the “One to Watch” prize.
France’s Pierre Herme was named finest pastry chef.
The “Chef’s Alternative Award,” voted on by different cooks on the 50 finest checklist, was awarded to Joan Roca of El Celler de Can Roca.
This 12 months’s lifetime achievement award went to chef Alain Passard of Michelin three-star restaurant L’Arpege in Paris.
In accordance with organizers, the outcomes had been compiled from an “impartial” voting panel of 1,000 judges that had been topic to adjudication.
This 12 months’s awards ceremony, extensively seen because the Oscars of wonderful eating, passed off in New York – transferring away from London for the primary time as a part of efforts to make the occasion “really international.”
In the course of the awards, it was introduced that the 2017 World’s 50 Greatest ceremony will happen in Melbourne, Australia.
1. Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy)
2. El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain)
3. Eleven Madison Park (New York Metropolis)
4. Central (Lima)
5. Noma (Copenhagen)
6. Mirazur (Menton, France)
7. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
8. Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
9. Steirereck (Vienna)
10. Asador Etxebarri (Biscay, Spain)
11. D.O.M. (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
12. Quintonil (Mexico Metropolis)
13. Maido (Lima) – Highest riser
14. Ledbury (London)
15. Alinea (Chicago)
16. Azurmendi (Close to Bilbao, Spain)
17. Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
18. White Rabbit (Moscow)
19. Arpege (Paris)
20. Amber (Hong Kong)
21. Arzak (San Sebastian, Spain)
22. The Take a look at Kitchen (Cape City, South Africa)
23. Gaggan (Bangkok)
24. Le Bernardin (New York Metropolis)
25. Pujol (Mexico Metropolis)
26. Clove Membership (London) – Highest new entry
27. Saison (San Francisco)
28. Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
29. Tickets (Barcelona)
30. Astrid y Gaston (Lima)
31. Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo)
32. Restaurant Andre (Singapore)
33. Attica (Melbourne, Australia)
34. Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
35. Vendome (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)
36. Borago (Santiago)
37. Nahm (Bangkok)
38. De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)
39. Le Calandre (Padua, Italy)
40. Relae (Copenhagen)
41. Faviken (Jarpen, Sweden)
42. Ultraviolet (Shanghai, China)
43. Biko (Mexico Metropolis)
44. Estela (New York)
45. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (London)
46. Combal.Zero (Rivoli, Italy)
47. Schloss Schauenstein (Furstenau, Switzerland)
48. Blue Hill at Stone Barns (New York)
49. Quique Dacosta (Denia, Spain)
50. Septime (Paris)